The Seguin Murders

                On the morning of April 29, 1992, the body of Mary Ann “Polly” Seguin, 34, was found in the Sudbury River, in Southborough, MA. She had been bludgeoned to death by what was later determined to be an ax (Croteau). Her body had been wrapped in towels and linens before being left in the river (Globe). Her husband, Kenneth, 35, was found staggering around about a mile from where she was found by two fishermen, his wrists, ankles, and neck slashed in a manner that suggested a suicide attempt (“Divers Find Bodies Of Children Of Suspected Wife-Killer”).  Their two children, Danny, 7, and Amy, 5 were missing and it took no time at all for a search to begin (Croteau). The question was, what had happened to the Seguin family?

                Kenneth Seguin, a software marketing executive, was held at the Bridgewater State Hospital, the corrections psychiatric hospital, under suspicion of his wife’s murder. During the days following the discovery of her remains, his lawyer, Thomas Giblin, was his main go between with investigators and press. According to Giblin, Seguin was suffering memory lapses, severely depressed, and not in a state of mind to help search for his missing children. At the time, they claimed Seguin had no knowledge as to his children’s whereabouts or safety (Globe).

                Unfortunately, the town of Hopkinton, MA, where the family lived and had moved into a new $220,000 house just the weekend before the murders, got the answer to their questions on May 2, 1992. At 8 AM that day, divers recovered the remains of the two children from Beaver Pond in Franklin, MA (“Divers Find Bodies Of Children Of Suspected Wife-Killer”). It was determined that the children had been drugged with sleeping pills before having their throats, and in the case of Amy, her wrists, slashed and being hidden in Beaver Pond by their killer. The killer had used leaves, sticks, and other debris from the area to try and hide the remains of the two young children (Croteau).

                At the time that Seguin was eventually questioned, he made the claim that two men had broken into the house, attacked him and Mary Ann, and drugged the children. At first it would seem that the autopsies of the children agreed, as they had sleeping pills in their systems (Croteau). The truth eventually came to light. On April 28, 1992, Seguin took his children for a drive, during which he gave them the sleeping pills found in their systems. Once they fell asleep, he slit Danny’s throat and Amy’s throat and wrists. He hid their bodies in Beaver Pond before returning home, where he slept next to his wife for approximately two to three hours before taking an ax and killing her with one swift blow to the head. He disposed of her body in the Sudbury River before attempting suicide himself (“Executive Gets Life Term In Killing Of His Family (Published 1993)”).  

                Seguin’s lawyers argued that an insanity defense at trial. According to them he was under immense pressure at the time of the murders due to the death of his father-in-law, his failure to have the family’s dream home built in a timely manner, and pressure from work, that caused him to develop a delusion. He believed that the only way he could save his family was by killing them and himself, and reuniting in heaven once they were all dead. Assistant District Attorney David Meier disagreed, claiming the act was premeditated. Seguin had left an unusual, evasive but coherent, voicemail on his wife’s answering machine while he was taking the children away. He cleaned up after the crime, flipping the bloody mattress over (Croteau), and lying to the police with his continually inconsistent answers to questions (“Executive Gets Life Term In Killing Of His Family (Published 1993)”). He had also made anonymous calls to the children’s schools to inform them that the kids would not be attending the day they died (Croteau).

                To the surprise of everyone, the jury found him guilty on three counts of second-degree murder. Many felt that the verdict would either be first-degree murder or not guilty by reason of insanity, but the jurors felt that while he was mentally impaired at the time of the murders, he understood the actions he was taking were wrong. He was sentenced to life in prison with no hope for parole for 30 years (“Executive Gets Life Term In Killing Of His Family (Published 1993)”).

                Since the time of the murders and his conviction, Seguin has applied for parole on multiple occasions. Each time he has been denied. During his parole hearings, he has made several claims. He had planned suicide after killing his wife and children. Mary Ann had said she was going to leave him. He was depressed and having financial problems. Each claim fell on deaf ears, as the board decided his attempts to cover up the murders proved the act was premeditated (Croteau). It has been almost 30 years since the horrific murders happened, and it seems he will remain in prison for his crimes, regardless of what his state of mind was at the time. The facts remain, no matter what he claims: a 7-year-old and a 5-year-old died at the hands of someone who was meant to protect them, and a 34-year old died at the hands of someone who was supposed to love her.

“Divers Find Bodies Of Children Of Suspected Wife-Killer”. UPI, 1992,

Globe, Boston. “MAN CHARGED WITH KILLING WIFE; 2 KIDS MISSING”. Orlandosentinel.Com, 1992,

“Executive Gets Life Term In Killing Of His Family (Published 1993)”. Nytimes.Com, 1993,

Croteau, Scott. “Kenneth Seguin Denied Parole In Brutal Killings Of His Wife, 2 Children”. Masslive, 2017,

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s